The shipping and handling tax class is used in calculating the tax applied to shipping and handling charges when an order is placed.
When configuring a tax class type for shipping and handling, you should map it to the tax code that most closely and accurately represents your shipping/handling environment.
For example, the tax class type that is created in the following procedure is intended for an environment where charges for shipping products are combined with additional charges for handling or preparing the products for shipment. In the Avalara Tax Code spreadsheet, the code that most closely represents this environment is "FR030000." Therefore, FR030000 is entered in the Code field of the Create Tax Class Type page. (This is just an example. Be sure to use the appropriate tax codes for your tax calculation service provider.)
To configure a tax class type for shipping/handling:
- Click System Admin in the Administrative tasks menu. The System Admin page opens with the Project Settings page displayed.
- Select Catalog>Tax Class Types from the left navigation menu. The Tax Class Types list page opens.
- Click the Add Catalog Tax Class Type link. The Create Tax Class Type page opens.
- At Name (Required), enter a name for the tax class type. (You may want to include all or part of the tax calculation service provider's name in this name so that it is easily recognizable.)
- At Code (Required), enter the tax code that most closely represents the shipping/handling environment this tax class type represents.
- At Description, enter a description of the tax class type.
At Is Default, select (check) the checkbox if this tax class type should be used for the default catalog tax class type.
- You must define at least one tax class type for shipping and handling to use as the default.
- If only one tax class type is defined for shipping and handling, be sure it has this checkbox checked.
- If more than one tax class type is defined for shipping and handling, be sure one of them has this checkbox checked.
- At Is Shipping Handling, select (check) the checkbox since this tax class type is associated with shipping and handling.
- At Status, use the drop-down list to select the status of the tax class type. The default is New, but you may want to change it to Active at this time.
To continue . . .